Combine the rich colors of the lettuce with the vibrant Purple Cabbage and it is a winning dish before you ever take a bite.
- 1/2 Head – Large Purple Cabbage
- 3 Small Heads/Plants – Fresh Early Lettuce, in the variations that you like.
- 4 – Roma Tomatoes
- 1 Cup – Green or Black Salad Olives
- 1 Cup – Olive Oil based Salad Dressing. See Recipe for Italian Salad Dressing.
- Carefully cut the stem and connecting growth from the Red Cabbage a few layers deep. This will make a cone-shaped void in the cabbage.
- Carefully remove one layer of Purple Cabbage at a time, until the desired number of “bowls” are peeled-away.
- Plate the Purple Cabbage bowls and add the remaining ingredients.
Serves 8 adults and a bunch of carnivorous grandkids. They’ll eat salads too if it is fun!
The Salad Spinner, one of the most often used kitchen gadgets in our kitchen.
As a variation on this salad, you could line your wooden salad bowls with the Purple Cabbage to give it a slightly different presentation.